Thursday, July 26, 2012

St. Kilda Adventure Playground - Melbourne, Australia

I lived in Australia in 1998, and while there was a teaching assistant for a landscape architectural design class at RMIT. One of the outings that we had was to the St. Kilda Adventure Playground. This was a great opportunity for me to see what community directed play could look like. As a descendant of the Adventure Playground tradition, it's a sweet example of how fun play can be for everyone if the community is engaged to the level that they take ownership and responsibility. Not only responsibility for the development and repair of the playground, but for their actions and the actions of their children. With fun comes risk.

I've scanned my slide collection, and these are one of the things I stumbled upon. A recent article on this playground made me want to put them up here.















No comments:

Post a Comment